NGO conference issues recommendations to the OSCE foreign ministers conference in Basel
On 4 and 5 December 2014 the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Ministerial Council will meet convening the foreign ministers and around 1200 delegates from 57 states.
Between 1 and 3 December 2014, Swisspeace together with the international NGO network Civic Solidarity Platform organised the OSCE Parallel Civil Society Conference 2014. The 120 participants from 30 countries have gathered a whole compilation of recommendations to the OSCE foreign ministers during 2014. These recommendations include a variety of topics including the freedoms of expression and assembly, the protection of human rights defenders, the fight against intolerance, discrimination and hate speech, data protection as well as the right to free and fair elections. The document also contains a summary of the self-evaluation of Switzerland on the OSCE commitments and the Basel Declaration on Intolerance, Discrimination and Hate Crimes.
The collected recommendations were handed over to Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter, OSCE Chairman-in-Office in the presence of the Serbian foreign minister, on 3 December 2014 at the NGO conference for submission to the OSCE Ministerial Council on 4 and 5 December 2014. The demands by the NGOs were presented during a press conference attended by Didier Burkhalter. Serbia will take over the OSCE Chairmanship in 2015.
- Zivilgesellschaft des OSZE-Raumes fordert stärkeren Kampf gegen Folter und Diskriminierung
Press release by swisspeace, 3 December 2014 (pdf, 1 page in German)
- Civil Sciety Recommendations to the Participants of the OSCE Ministerial Council Meeting in Basel, 4-5 December 2014
Civic Solidarity Platform: OSCE Parallel Civil Society Conference 2014 in Basel, 2-3 December 2014 (pdf, 92 pages)
- OSCE Parallel Civil Society Conference 2014: draft agenda and documents
Civic Solidarity Platform
- Live Stream on the OSCE Ministerial Council Meeting of 4 and 5 December 2014
- 21st OSCE Ministerial Council
Documentation on the official OSCE webseite
- Alles, was Sie zur OSZE-Tagung wissen müssen
Interactive graphic, TagesWoche (in German)
- OSCE Chairmanship 2014
Documentation on the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA website
- OSCE Chairmanship
Documentation on the swisspeace website
- Renewed Relevance and Visibility – Switzerland’s Chairmanship of the OSCE
By Stephanie Liechtenstein for ISN, ETH Zurich
- Testfall Ukraine-Krise: Das Konfliktmanagement der OSZE unter Schweizer Vorsitz
By Christian Nünlist, in «Bulletin 2014 zur schweizerischen Sicherheitspolitik», (pdf, 27 pages in German)