National Commission for the Prevention of Torture (NCPT)
Head of Secretariat
0041 (0)58 465 14 17
Jlona von Büren
Administration and Coordination
0041 (0)58 465 16 20
Relevant duties in the context of human rights
Inspection of the situation of people deprived of liberty on a regular basis
- The NCPT visits prisons, establishments and institutions where people are or could be deprived of their liberty.
- By means of reports, the Commission gives recommendations to the competent authorities aiming to improve the treatment and conditions of detained people and preventing torture and other forms of inhuman and degrading treatment.
- Based on the federal law of the 20st March 2009 the NCPT accompanies forced deportations by air at level 4 according to Art. 28 Par. 1 Lit. d of the regulation on the use of contraint (Zwangsanwendungsverordnung ZAV) surveying the abidance by human rights and the treatment of the deportees.
- The NCPT comments on existing and evolving legislation concerning the deprivation of liberty.
- The Commission releases an annual report which is submitted to the Federal Council.
Main work in the human rights field
- Human rights monitoring
- Awareness raising, Campaigning
- Information / Documentation
Protection of vulnerable groups
- Asylum seekers / Refugees
- Foreigners / Migrants
Issues our organisation works on
- Refugee / asylum law and policy
- Legislation and policy on foreigners
- Expulsion, principle of ‘non-refoulement’
- Torture / inhuman treatment
- Deprivation of liberty / custody (preventive detention) / penal institutions
- Personal freedom
- Police work / police violence
- Swiss human rights policy
- Criminal law
- Procedural law
- Human Rights Council
- Human Rights Committee (HRC)
- Committee Against Torture (CAT)
- Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC)
Council of Europe
- European Court of Human Rights
- European Commissioner for Human Rights
- European Committee for the Prevention of Torture(CPT)