NGO reports for the third Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Switzerland
The deadline for civil society reports was 30 March 2017 and the third cycle of monitoring the human rights situation in Switzerland as part of the UPR procedure of the UN Human Rights Council has started.
Report by the NGO Platform Human Rights
A working group from the NGO Platform Human Rights worked together for over a year to compile a joint NGO report. The report includes prior requests from the 2008 and 2012 reporting cycles and some new, updated recommendations.
A first draft of the NGO report was presented to all organisations of the NGO Platform Human Rights for consultation in June 2016. At their annual meeting, interested NGOs gave feedback and made amendments.
The result is impressive: the NGO report covers the whole spectrum of human rights issues and highlights the major human rights deficiencies in Switzerland. The result is a short summary of the current human rights issues facing Switzerland.
According to UN Human Rights Council regulations, the report may not contain more than 5,650 words, so some topics were not addressed and others were only mentioned in passing. The report was written in French and then translated into English. A German version does not exist.
- Examin périodique universel de la Suisse, 3ème cycle
Report by the NGO Platform Human Rights, (pdf, 15 pages in French)
- Universal periodic review of Switzerland, 3rd cycle
Report by the NGO Platform Human Rights, (pdf, 15 pages)
Other NGO reports on Switzerland
In addition to the joint report, organisations also submitted additional specific reports as part of the UPR procedure. For example, humanrights.ch, the Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion, and the European Network on Statelessness submitted a report on statelessness in Switzerland. Sexuelle Gesundheit Schweiz and Transgender Network Switzerland also submitted reports on Switzerland, as did Amnesty International.
- Shadow Report on the Situation of Trans People in Switzerland
Report by Transgender Network Switzerland, 30 March 2017 (pdf, 8 pages)
- Universal Periodic Review of Switzerland - Sexual health Switzerland
Report by Sexuelle Gesundheit Schweiz (pdf, 15 pages)
- Joint Submission to the Human Rights Council at the 28th Session of the Universal Periodic Review
Report by humanrights.ch, Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion, European Network on Statelessness and Terre des hommes Foundation (pdf, 13 pages)
- Amnesty International Submission for the UN Universal Periodic Review 28th Session of the UPR Working Group
Amnesty International report
Lobbying by the Swiss NGO Platform
The Swiss NGO Platform Human Rights compiled some fact sheets on various issues covered by the shadow report for a briefing of interested states aiming to give some recommendations to Switzerland.
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet Asylum
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet Discrimination
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet Gender-based Violence
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet Constitutional Initiatives Opposing Human Rights
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet National Human Rights Institution
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet Prohibition of Torture
- UPR Switzerland Factsheet Trade, Business and Human Rights
The state report by Switzerland on the third UPR cycle has been published on June 28, 2017 (see our article). The UPR hearing on Switzerland will take place on 10 November 2017. At this event, each country will have a chance to make recommendations to Swiss policy makers based on the existing reports. Together with the cantons, the Federal Council will then decide which of these recommendations Switzerland will accept. Finally, the UN Human Rights Council will confirm the accepted recommendations for Switzerland in March 2018.Tweet